PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Feel the fear...and do it anyway?
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2014, 12:29
KandiFloss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Amber,

Don't put too much pressure on yourself! I went to Florida to get my PPL back in 2006. I remember being taken to the flying school for my first flight and thinking, 'I am not enjoying this at all', and the idea of going solo was scary! I was a bit surprised about my thoughts, as when i'd flown previously I felt quite confident and didn't have those worries. I started off flying the C-152 but I didn't like that a/c, I thought that it was too twitchy and I just couldn't get my landings right. I was getting upset with myself as I still hadn't gone solo by 16 hours. I was almost about to give up and go home and buy myself a horse! I told my instructor (1/7 that I had ... not great ) that I wanted to try flying a cadet (smaller Warrior) and within 4 hours i'd gone solo! I found that a/c a more stable a/c to fly and I felt more confident flying it. I said that i'd never fly a C-152 again ... I hated them! However, now I choose to fly the C-152, and am happy to do so.

With regards to feeling anxious, believe me, I know how you feel. My flying has been sporadic, due to various reasons, including having a baby and studying for my ATPLs. I've just had almost a 2 year break from flying, and i've recently got back into it. I have around 125 hours total time, and I still feel anxious at times. I flew solo for the first time in almost 2 years recently, and yes I was anxious!

I think that it can be hard to talk to people about your flying concerns. Try to get to know the people at your club and find out who the helpful and genuine people are (I'm sure that being a young female, people will bend over backwards to help/talk to you!). If people are genuine then they will support you. I appreciate talking to people who are open to their thoughts and even mistakes, as even though some people will never do this I think that doing this helps eveyone learn. There are people who won't admit to feeling anxious/concerned ... maybe they simply don't have worries, or maybe it's all about bravado and they just won't admit to feeling anxious, as they think that people will think less of them.

Good luck, and PM me if you want a chat