PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA ATP - post your questions here.
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2014, 05:20
Rotorhead1026

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rick, frankly (and I say this without meanness) your post makes no sense. You're now mixing Part 61, Part 142, and consumer issues. This is 14CFR142.The fact is that simulator training programs - at least every one I've ever heard of - have to follow a set approved syllabus approved by FAA. My belief is that Flyflyboy got exactly what he paid for; he was just confused as to what it was. Whether he was mislead or he deluded himself I cannot say. If his training was simulator based then he needed approved syllabus based type rating training to take a type rating checkride, no matter what approvals the examiner had. I suspect he had something less than that, and cheaper. If he got the ATP, he followed some abbreviated Part 142 program that FAA says is legit - they granted him the ticket. Whether it's "proper" isn't their purview. They're not going to get involved in a tort claim, believe me.

Air carrier programs are approved also, but under their own company training manual approved by their POI. They've got to follow syllabi as well, with the sim. or without.

As for the "new" ATP rules, I had hopes that any air carrier type sim training would suffice as long as one had the hours. No such luck; somebody posted the reg for me and it has to be a specific approved program, just like anything else. Sucks for the youngsters.

Last edited by Rotorhead1026; 10th Aug 2014 at 05:37.