PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA ATP - post your questions here.
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2014, 01:09
rick1128

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotorhead,

Just because the program is approved doesn't make it proper and correct. After checking Part 142 I came up with 142.54 ATP training programs. It does not state if the ATP is done in a Simulator that a type rating is or is not required, just that the instructor must be typed in the aircraft and current within the requirements of Part 142. After looking through the FSIMS aka Order 8900.10 which is the FAA Inspector Guidance, I found nothing that covers this situation. It appears that the new changes in the FAA ATP have a few cracks that programs are slipping though. While discussing it with the FSDO might work, it has been my experience that Principal Operations Inspectors tend to CTA (cover their a$$) when questioned about something they approved. And while talking OKC might help, this one looks like a case where the FAA Chief Counsel should be contacted. It would appear that the concept has not be fully thought out.

As for the PTS, there is no difference between the ATP checkride and the type rating checkride. All the same maneuvers are required. The only difference is that there is a difference between type ratings done is the airplane and those done in the simulator. And that is part of the issue here.

Amadis,

The training and the checking are two separate events in that the checking is conducted by an agent of the FAA. Be that agent an FAA inspector or a designee. Be that designee an independent operator, or a full time or part time employee of the school, when they are conducting a checkride they represent the FAA and by their code of conduct are suppose to represent the FAA in the best possible manner. The FAA has been cracking down on examiners that past applicants improperly. Plus they regularly conduct observation rides during examiner conducted checkrides.

Please keep in mind that Part 121 training is different that Part 61 training. The program you trained under had specific minimums that had to be met. Under Part 61 there are no minimum training times for an ATP or type rating.