PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2014, 01:05
Danny42C

Feel the Difference.

camlobe and Warmtoast,

Warmtoast, I think that all of your photographs would almost certainly be of Harvards, and there is a tendency to think that the Harvard was just a yellow AT6A with roundels, but that is not the case. They were slightly different aircraft.

The main difference was that the AT6A was armed (a 0.300 Browning mounted with cocking handle on top right of front cockpit panel, firing through the prop, whereas all the Harvards I later flew were not.

And it may well be that it was also fitted with a different heater (or no heater) along the lines described by camlobe (external sleeve of warmed air), and which I seem to remember, rather than the internal pipe design so clearly shown on the photos.

Wiki gives me:

"Canada's Noorduyn Aviation built an R-1340-AN-1-powered version of the AT-6A, which was supplied to the USAAF as the AT-16 (1,500 aircraft) and the RAF/RCAF as the Harvard IIB (2,485 aircraft").

Two points spring out: the USAAF recognised it as different, and called it an AT-16 (would they have bought them from Canada for supply only to the BFTS schools, whereas their own Advanced Schools all used their AT-6A ?).
The 2500 Harvard IIBs would have equipped all the Empire Flying Schools, and would be, post-war, spread all over the RAF as runabouts.

That about sums up the Harvard Heater story. Some poor Harvards had None:

I give you:

Belgian Air Force T-6G

Cheers, Danny.