PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAA's new recruitment agenda!!!
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2003, 02:08
kiron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well i must say that I agree with the AA policy to a degree . The line must be drawn at some point i guess .

When it comes down to the simplest of things such as motivation and a will to want to do something , you have to select those candidates with a PASSION .

I firmly believe that SAA have and still are recruiting cadets who never really had a passion for flying . I have a friend currently at SAA . He's never really wanted to be a pilot but saw the ad in the newspaper , applied , did testing for a year obviously bull****ed his way through the interviews and made it through .

He is a good guy though and now loves what hes doing !!

Anyway , the other point I'd like to make , being indian myself , is that people of colour are only recently(past 9yrs) being exposed to careers that were previously only for white people . So when an indian/black/coloured person see's and ad in the newspaper on becoming a pilot(free of charge) they'd be crazy if they didnt apply . I am only saying this because a career in aviation for a non-white person previously , was unheard off , unless you cleaned the toilets,swept the hangers or became a fuel bowser .

My dad has alwayz wanted to fly . Eversince i can remember hes always collected books , model aircraft and the like .

So back in the late 70's when he just finished school he thought that he could pursue his flying career . His only hope was the airforce cause his DAD worked in a clothing factory and earned the bare minimum . (so general aviation was out of the question) Obviously his dad never got a promotion after all his years of service ----- YOU KNOW WHY "????? you guessed right , cause he wasnt WHITE .....so my dad heard there was an intake at the airforce , but due to his COLOUR he never stood a chance .

I am sure that there were many like him !! BUt hey he holds no grudges and never feels any hatred . HE's proud though cause he paid for my Commercial Pilots Licence , and with me being only 20 I guess i am proud too . I applied to the cadet scheme but never made it to the end . (dont know why)....that didnt stop me cause I perserveared . And thats exactly what all you guys complaining out there are gonna do ...