PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA ATP - post your questions here.
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2014, 03:40
rick1128

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotorhead, Under FAA regulations a pilot is not required to undergo an approved course for a type rating. Approved courses are for the pilot to meet certain requirements for a certificate or rating. The checkride comes after and is a separate event. While the examiner could be an employee of the school, they are acting as an agent for the FAA. They can only act within the guidelines of their authority. The only way that an examiner can give a checkride for any certificate or rating in a multiengine airplane or simulator is to be rated in the airplane or simulator as an examiner. So if the examiner can issue an ATP certificate in a B737 simulator, the examiner can also issue a B737 type rating. The Practical Test Standards for the ATP and for Type Ratings is the same Practical Test Standard. If the examiner did a proper and complete checkride, which I am going to assume the examiner did, the there should be any legal issue of issuing the B737 type.

Flyflyboy, first of all, it sounds like you did a FAA PPL and then did the FAA ATP. Is that correct? The FAA doesn't differentiate between B737 models. So you would only get a B737 type rating, no matter what simulator you did the checkride in. (Reference AC61-89E) Next, did you or the school fill out the 8710 application or the IACRA on line application? There is a space in the top section which is for designating what the checkride is for. There is a space for type rating. If this was left blank, that could be why no type was issued. Something sounds a little off on this. That is why I am telling you to invest in a telephone call to the FAA Airman Certification Branch with all the details and talk with them. Their telephone number is +1-405-954-3261. Their hours are 0800 to 1600 Central time. The earlier in the day the better usually.

While there are many good schools out there that do well by their students, there are some out there that really take advantage of the students. What the heck, they don't really understand american english and their now a half a world away and calling to Oklahoma City is a real pain for them. And the only way they get caught is if someone complains.

I live in the FAA world and deal with them on a daily basis and I am still surprised on some of the things that can or can not be done. Call Oklahoma City.