PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2014, 22:03
Danny42C

Keep the Home Fires Burning !

camlobe,

This shows the evergreen value of PPRuNe ! Whatever subject is broached, sooner or later up comes a real expert to tell us everything we need to know about it: you couldn't have a clearer demonstration of that than your Post #6040 !

(Your):
"The original short exhaust outlet pipe is replaced by a much longer unit. This extended pipe is then shrouded by a jacket made of stainless steel or a similar heat resistant metal."

This is exactly what I remember on my AT-6s at Craig Field. But the thing we've been discussing with Warmtoast et al seems to show a rig where the hot-air pipe runs inside the exhaust pipe - exactly the opposite idea, and I wondered how enough air got into the front of the (narrow bore) pipe to make much of a difference at the cockpit end. Although the exhaust shown had been ripped apart by the partly-severed engine, the front bit seems to have two bits of broken-off small bore pipe sticking in opposite directions - what part would they play ?

"Due to the increased length of the exhaust pipe, the noise signature is considerably reduced and the sound is of a deeper note."

A contributor to "Tee Emm" (IIRC), once spoke of the "Sonor Harvard-orum and Eu-ti-orum" (from S. Rhodesia, I think).

"Seriously, most of this type of aircraft employ heaters that burn fuel from the aircraft supply,......"

Serious ? - it's terrifying ! You're telling me that they actually engineered fires on board to keep themselves warm! So my choices appear to have been (1) Freeze (2) perish by CO poisoning, or (3) burn to death ! (Why didn't the Recruiting Officer tell me all this before he let me sign up ? - I'd have changed to something safer, like bomb disposal). (Nervous Pax, can I please join your Club ?)

Recalls an apocryphal tale once heard (or read about): Load of pilgrims en route to Mecca. Smoke creeps into Flight Deck. F/O goes aft to investigate. Finds his pax have built a fire in the middle of the centre aisle and are busy cooking evening rice ! (Couldn't be true, surely ?)

Joking apart, thanks for a most instructive Post on a subject most of us take for granted.

Cheers, Danny.