PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackpool RT Transmissions
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2014, 18:47
newaviator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With regard "basic service" as my username suggests I'm a newby PPL , the service I've received whilst transiting in the past has included much radio contact from the controllers at Blackpool, with plenty of position reports from me , requests from ATC for a position update from me ,and some good traffic info on a regular basis from the controllers about other aircraft in the immediate vicinity- which as a low hours pilot is very much appreciated indeed Seems alot of folk use the M6/M55 junction as a reporting point............

First time I spoke to Blackpool was on 119.95 and was immediately asked to recall them on 118.40 as Radar/Approach wasn't being manned for some reason, 118.40 seemed to be handling everything.

Second instance (different date) and the most recent 119.95 was being used , and manned throughout my transit with them and had the more obvious fade out of transmission strength.

Aircraft is a fixed wing microlight with only 1 radio , no issues talking two way with Barton whilst approx 20+ miles distant on frequency change from Blackpool at or around Leyland area on the reverse of my route. Come to think about it , I passed and was in the vicinity of that big Wind Turbine at Garstang going North initially and then Southbound on my return and that could have been when the fade out was most apparent , although it could just be a coincidence ???

It just struck me that if they had a "blind spot" issue and it was possible to miss a transmission to me or vice versa it might be worth knowing about

Last edited by newaviator; 8th Aug 2014 at 19:05. Reason: update