PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reports of a light aircraft down in Blue Mountains
Old 8th Aug 2014, 06:34
Stikybeke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with Ultralights,

I don't mean to embarrass anyone but given what I've read I would strongly suspect that Ultralights has a Spin endorsement in the logbook to recover from fully developed spins as part of the Aerobatic journey (which is a good thing...). I agree with what is suggested but still shake my head in disbelief regarding this demonstration flight (if that's correct of course..) taking into account the circumstances of the flight as publicy reported by the ATSB.

Surely no one in their right mind would intentionally enter into an induced spin or a flight profile that would contribute in that direction over tiger country or anywhere else for that matter where you don't have the benefit of altitude, an identified landing area (should it go pearshape) or most importantly, being in an aircraft that is not spin certified. Of course this is taking into account that the PIC has a good operational experience and requisite knowledge of the aircraft being flown.

They are all very lucky to have survived this accident.

I fondly recall whilst undertaking my Spinning endorsement that the entry altitude for a fully developed spin was at least 6000ft AGL and that's whilst entertaining a stabilised descent rate of 100ft/s (in the R2160). You can do the math from a fully developed flat spin (recovery from 10+ spins).

I've never flown a Cirrus but I see that "The Banjo" has given in his post that "The maximum vertical speed reached about 14,000 feet per minute prior to the CAPS deployment". That's about 230fps. (Would this be right XXX?) Even given some time following entry into that profile to wind up to that descent rate that's quite frightening......god knows what the recovery would be.

Critical Mass's post also provides many valuable points for consideration as does Old Akro's. Well done guys and thank goodness you've taken the time to contribute to this.

I'm sure that Cirrus is a great aircraft provided it's operated within its flight envelope and I see that the SR22T is on a demonstration tour around the country between September to December (according to an advertisement in the July 2014 Aviation Trader). From what I've read of the aircraft it seems to just get better and better provided (of course) that it's flown the way it should be.......

Stiky

Last edited by Stikybeke; 8th Aug 2014 at 09:26.