PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mahindra leaving Australia.
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2014, 01:24
aeromariner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The point is that the Guvment knew exactly what was going on. Let me give you just one aspect ....the ECS for the cockpit. I can't even remember the numbers, but the cockpit temperature had to be pulled down from some extraordinary high temperature (aircraft heat soaked in blazing sun uncovered on tarmac)to deliciously comfortable in the time it took an FI to get his seatbelt on. Why?? nobody knew. Why not put it in the shade? not acceptable... why not hook a kelvinator (GPU) up to it ..... not acceptable. It wasn't a fighter likely to be deployed (ironically they are kept in hardened shelters). It was just a trainer .... But that ECS meant that all standard PT6 driven PTOs were unsuitable ...RAAF ... simple pay for a new one.... and the ejection seat (or as it was known the injection seat). It seemed to go in and out of the spec on a weekly basis. All of this being paid by the guvment. Of course the competition steps in and says the PC9 purchase will stop all this nonsense and, remember the Bomber was trying to eke out the defence dollar. Later on another project I had learnt the lesson. I suggested that (on this heat soak issue) we build the RAAF 20,000 sqft fully equipped hangers for the new plane, on all the bases and as the vitriol flew across the room, "18,000 for the plane and 2,000 for the fully equipped boozer I would add" ... karma would descend