PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will it be Alaska again for routes East ?
Old 7th Aug 2014, 21:22
Mr Mac

Received 152 Likes on 95 Posts
Eastern wiseguy
I would humbly have to disagree with you as I have many memories of been in PANC with BA,AF,LH,JAL,KOREAN,KLM going to or back from Japan. In fact I may have even seen Iberia but we are talking mid late 80,s and it was a long time ago and as rgsaero says we may have been at the bar (we maybe back there yet) !. They built a new terminal there for this traffic and then Russia opened up, combined with 747-400 and we all started tramping over Siberia and I have not been back there since. Southern routes were all through the Gulf /BKK/HK and it was a long way to get to Japan / Korea so I always went through PANC.

Wiggy / Basil
Some of the 747 100 /200 routes I remember were more like Wells Fargo than an airline back then. I seem to remember stops in Frankfurt, Muscat, Bombay on the way to Singapore once it just seemed to take for ever. I tell myself this when looking at the in flight tracks we now get when that little Red plane seems to be inching its way across Siberia or Africa and you just want to get home !.