PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA AME (Approved Medical Examiner) Durban, South Africa
Old 7th Aug 2014, 17:59
reinbobber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seems to be a problem beyond that particular AME.

Several years ago I got an FAA medical from another AME in RSA(not the one in Durban). After reading your original thread, I checked the FAA database and found my last medical wasn't listed. Luckily I had not been flying commercially so I had no legal issues. I called the RSA AME (April 2013) and the secretary said she had sent the record in. I called the FAA and they had no record. I told them I had an FAA first class medical in hand(hand written too). Seemed a standoff-the FAA had no record and the AME claimed to have sent it. I was in the USA at the time and to save red tape and further BS I got a new FAA medical and moved on. Shortly after I received a letter from the FAA requesting more info. Apparently they had "found" or just received the copy from the RSA AME.

I see that the RSA AME is still listed as approved.

From now on when I get a medical I check to confirm on the FAA database- just having a paper medical certificate in hand is no guarantee that it is valid....