PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - preserving Retired Airliners in Flying Condition.
Old 7th Aug 2014, 09:14
Guptar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
preserving Retired Airliners in Flying Condition.

Talking with some friends the other day how we are lucky that some aircraft from wayback have been preserved from way back, so the young people of today can appreciate aviation history. I love to see the look on non-aviation peoples faces when I show them a DC3, a Spitfire, Mustang etc. what's even better is when they can see one in the flesh, touch and climb in, or best of all have a ride.

So how much would it cost to maintain an airliner that is about to be headed for the boneyard,such as a 747, 707, 727, L1011, DC-9. Keep them airworthy for public display. Kids in 50 years time wont know what it's like to have a 727 depart overhead with the engines at crackle power. The Comet is gone, only a few DC4/6's left, no DC7's are flyable now and only a couple of Conies. It also amazes the new generation of students the notion that the early jets (707/727) were flown around with only VOR/DME and ADF and in some cases a navigator with a sextant. Kids these days can't fathom life without GPS, mobile phones and the internet.

Is there any maintenance system that could support these types, but flying only 50 hrs a year. I understand the standard maintenance system is for airline ops ,high utilisation so it has a calendar time as well as TIS component. Do these types develop problems from low utilisation alone (fuel microbes for one).

For the sake of the argument assume a full D check/ engine overhaul is done as part of the preservation process. Does anyone have an idea of the cost of a D check for the various aircraft and they will be housed in a dry air-conditioned hangar.