PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 7th Aug 2014, 07:11
ancientaviator62

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I had hoped that someone with more knowledge of the golfer story would post. So I will try to remember it as it was told to me all those years ago. The captain was Chris K. (top bloke) who had been a brand new copilot when we first got the Herc on 47 Sqn.
They had been on one of the regular airdrop dets to Macrihanish and were now packing up to come home. The usual chaos ensued with people swapping frames etc. The ALM questions one of the pax who does not seem to quite 'fit'. He says he is a pal of the captain. Once airborne the ALM asks the captain if he would like his pal on the flight deck. 'What pal ? ' was the reply !
Turned out this chap was a civvy golfer who had seen the a/c come and go whilst airdropping. He rather fancied a flight so climbed on not realising they were going back to Lyneham and not landing back at Macrihanish ! I think he was also an enthusiastic amateur whisky tester. I have forgotten the outcome but I think Chris K went to Cathay when his short service comission was up.
Airdrop tale next.