PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Airlines Joining
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2014, 05:59
eldee5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not give it a try?

Flight Director,

First off, congratulations on passing the EK interview process. It is a very challenging one, and your hard work paid off. In light of this important decision, I will try to shed a different light on your predicament.

I worked at EK for three years and enjoyed it. You will find most people you fly with to be very pleasant and easy going. Training has gotten a lot better. Most of my experience has been quiet enjoyable. The training department recently put an effort in hiring good guys and getting rid of some of the bad apples. Most instructors are there because they enjoy teaching and it shows. The destinations are fun and I would expect you to transition over to the 380 relatively soon, so don't sweat the 330.

Some of the negatives are mentioned in this thread. In all fairness they are relatively accurate.

So, why join Emirates? It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I personally enjoyed it because EK was a means to an end. Large national carriers, like the one I am currently employed at, are extremely competitive to get into. I had plenty of experience flying domestic routes but needed that edge in order to be truly marketable. EK gave me that. Great lucrative flying jobs are few and far between. Just getting invited for an interview for some of them is like trying to catch a fly with chopsticks.

You have all the PIC turbine time you need. Your resume is already solid. Now all you have to do is pad it with some international flying experience in heavies. Do this for couple years, and next thing you know you’ll be ahead of the pack. Good for you for taking the initiative to give EK a try. If you are judicious, you will see that in the end, joining was probably the best thing for your career.

As I did, stay there for a little while and enjoy it for what it is. Then when you have enough experience, doors will open up for you, and the hand you’ll be dealt will be much nicer. By rising above the negativity, being smart, and capitalizing on all the great things Emirates has to offer, you will see that you will enjoy your time in Dubai. You can look at it like an extended paid vacation. You might even miss it a bit after you leave. I know I do.