PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cadets over Experience ? please explain
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2014, 21:24
Cliff Secord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I have said earlier. I've nothing against new comers at all! It's great when you meet someone with the enthusiasm for getting into flying. As I also said I've no comment when it comes to safety with new guys flying like we all did around Europe as I don't personally think its unsafe. My only point has nothing to do with winging about new comers.

It seems a well agreed upon point that the current heavy factory supply chain of "cadets" (they're not cadets, the airlines don't lose money training them) is taking over recruitment and damaging terms and conditions. And no one would ideally like that, even if they are currently sitting it pretty. It's hard to envisage how skewed it has become if you're currently into a long stretch at a airline and even joined say 5 years ago. I know I didn't get it until I lost my job. I before , from my lofty arrogant perch, thought people should just get on with it and shut up. I realised quite how much it had changed, and how quickly, between me joining this company and re entering the UK job hunting pilot workforce with a bucket load of experience and fast running out of options to pay mortgage/feed family.

Nothing to do with having any gripe against a keen new person. As I said, it's not their fault when they come face to face with the situation and I wish these new guys had a better range of options such as I was fortunate enought to enjoy. Anyway, there's nothing to be done, it was just a discussion taking place and that's the point of talking.

Last edited by Cliff Secord; 6th Aug 2014 at 21:39.