PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2014, 20:35
ValMORNA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As there have, to date, been no new posts on this thread today I'll add my contingency piece.

Herewith details from the log book of a distant relation of mine, taken from a CD of the content. Unfortunately some of the right-hand pages are curtailed and missing information.

He started his career in mid-Nov 1941 at RAF YEADON flying the DH82 Tiger Moth, starting from basic flight experience and effects of controls to taxying, straight-and-level flying, stalling, spins, take-off into wind, CFI Test and glide approach and landing. This amounted to 4hours 30mins airborne instruction.

He next appeared at the US Army Air Corps detachment Carlstrom Field, Florida in February 1942 on the USAAC Primary Course, flying the PT17.Syllabus was similar to Yeadon's, and he solo'd on 24th March after 10h 13m then continued dual/solo until 21st April.The log indicates training consisted of 'All elementary manoeuvres with accuracy stages, chandelles, lazy 8s, stalls, spins, pylon 8s, loops, half rolls, slow rolls, snap rolls, vertical reverses, Immelmans, 20-hour, 40-hour and Final Check rides.'This amounted to dual 32h29m and solo 27h31m.'

May 1942 he started USAAC Basic Course on the BT13 at USAAC Trng Det., Gunter Field, Alabama.The same basic flying initially, then progressed to Formation (28th) and Cross-Country (23rd) (Gunter -?further details missing).June began with Night Flying, Formation Landing and T/O and ends with X/C (Gunter-Greenville-Ozark-Gunter).

The next stage was from July 11th to Aug 30th on the AT17, AT6 and AT9 at Turner Field, Albany. Day and night X/Cs were GP5-Havana-Jasper,GP5-Cochran-Waycross-GP5, GP5-Blountstown.Interesting entries are NF1 "Blitz", 'Interception' and 'Rendezvous'. Total flying hours after this phase was 224h 10m.

This was the last part of his US training and Wings Parade occurred on September 6th 1942.
The bare bones of this episode may appear uninteresting but could awake memories among some esteemed members.

Next time will begin back in England.