PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Deciding between Pilatus PC-12 or Citation
Old 6th Aug 2014, 20:26
travB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for all the replies. The money issue is not really a concern, he is just judicious with his money and the extra 45minutes to an hour of flight time isn't worth more than double the fuel burn in the medium sized jet (that is the difference in fuel burn that I have been told by someone else), UNLESS there are some other merits to the Jet. The VLJ's aren't likely ideal as he would prefer 6-9 seats and he also often has reasonable payload (2-3 sets of golf clubs and some baggage).

Sounds like the CJ2, CJ3 or XLS are the citations that would work, though I've heard there are some discontinued Citation models that might fit the above requirements that could be purchased for less than $4.5MM if anyone could list some of those possibilities, also ones that are the most fuel efficient?

Because he is only familiar with Citations, does anyone have any other manufacturers and models that would be inline with the above options?

Finally, related to the jet vs. prop, does anyone have any links or data that points to the safety record of jets / 2 engines being safer or any literature on the safety of jets vs. turbo props? Given the flying will mainly be on the west coast, I have also heard that the jets are generally able to get up and above most weather, as it peaks around 30-35k feet, whereas turbo props can't go above the higher west coast weather and have bigger issues with icing.

Thanks again for all your help!