PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair jumpseating
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2014, 15:56
LNIDA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Industry wide problem i'm afraid, few are lucky enough to work where they live, so for many its a commute. 17 hours and 3 flights to get home is common place for a good number.

I have heard both sides of the argument, whats the difference between someone driving 2 - 3 hours to work or sat for 2 - 3 - 5+ hours in an aircraft en route to work? personally i take the the view if your sat in the flight deck jump seat before duty because there are no other seats available then its border line duty, there is no way you can sleep or rest on a cockpit jump seat and you are immersed in aviation related noises and you can not help but monitor

I do take issues with airlines that require/allow crew to use crew channels for getting airside for positioning rather than via normal gates, its an abuse, crew/staff channels are just that and should only be used by staff on duty requiring to go airside, not for off duty staff self positioning home.

I know why it happens and I know why people do it, but its still an abuse to be airside when you have no ticket and you are not on duty, its the airline(s) that are at fault, apart from anything else you clog the C channel for people who are on duty often with little or no time to get to the aircraft or place of work.

Ditto if your positioning in uniform off duty for the purpose of using crew/staff channels