PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Failure Procedure route
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2014, 14:27
doogle92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Failure Procedure route

For each runway at every airport my company operates out of there is a published Engine Failure Procedure.
Most of these, taking Manchester as an example, go along the lines of 'Climb ahead to 1700' then turn right to hold at MCT' for 23R. For 05L it gets slightly more complicated; 'Climb ahead to 5D MCT, turn left head West, at 10D MCT turn left back to MCT to hold.'

The primary aim with an EFP, logically, is to keep the aircraft within a safe terrain corridor, and obviously, all of this takes into account that said aircraft has declared a mayday and other aircraft would be vectored out of the way as much as possible.

However, are Air Traffic aware of the route we might take? I asked this of a Manchester controller once who was surprised at the route that we'd take. Both of the procedures I've noted above would appear to take the aircraft, and bird remains, towards a stream of Manchester inbounds.
The other point of note is the stop altitude. In a briefing, most people tend to suggest that they would either stop at a minimum hold altitude, somewhere around 3000', perhaps the MSA, 3500' or the SID stop altitude, 5000'.
Which, if any, of these stop levels would be best for ATC bearing in mind that this aircraft would most likely be heading back to hold overhead the airfield - right in the path of any subsequent go arounds.