PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF funeral question
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2014, 14:25
XH175

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few years ago I was involved with the change of a headstone for an Swiss/American ATA Pilot who was killed 7th Dec 1941.

The family could not be contacted at the time of his death but now had been visiting the grave since the early 60s.

When the new headstone was being cut to replace the damaged one the CWGC said that the family could add a few lines since this had not been possible when the original stone was cut.

The pilot had served in the USMC in the mid 1930s and the family wanted "Semper Fi" added. The CWGC agreed but asked them to get permission from the USMC.

On request, not only was permission given by return but it was also stated that the USMC would give military honours if the family wished.

Included in the reply was a copy of the USMC standing orders for funeral requests.

http://www.marines.mil/News/Messages...s-support.aspx

Item 6 is probably the best line in a standing order I have ever seen.

"THERE ARE NO EX-MARINES. THERE ARE ONLY MARINES. THOSE OF US WHO CURRENTLY ARE HONORED TO WEAR THE UNIFORM MUST CONTINUE THE LONG LINE OF OUR PREDECESSORS IN UPHOLDING THE INTEGRITY OF THESE WORDS.
OUR SUPPORT OF FUNERAL HONORS FOR OUR MARINES WILL SPEAK LOUDER THAN ANY WORDS."

The final part in Item 3 is great USMC Commandant speak:

"MY EXPECTATION IS THAT THE SITUATIONS WHERE THE MINIMUM NUMBERS OF MARINES ARE USED WILL BE FEW AND BY EXCEPTION.

COMMANDERS WILL MAKE EVERY ATTEMPT TO PROVIDE MORE THAN THE MINIMUM DETAIL SIZE AS DICTATED BY OPS/PERS TEMPO."

Would that we also have a similar standing order!

Regards
Ross