PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 9-10K for a PPL??..
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2014, 13:37
glum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm 1 year into my PPL training, and try to fly once a fortnight as that's what i can afford.

In 12 months I have flown for about 17 hours! This is a lot lower than the 26 one might expect, but as alluded to above, the weather, aircraft unserviceability, your holidays etc. will get in the way.

I'm close to going solo now, having bashed about the circuit for the last few hours but still need to pass my Air Law exam (club rules).

A month or so ago I told the instructor I was getting disillusioned with my crap landings, and needed to just go fly to remind myself why I was doing it.

One hour of bimbling round the sky and my passion was restored.

17 hours and not solo is about average, especially when flying as infrequently as I do. That's fine, it's not a race. I can't afford to fly any more often...

I do plan to keep this up as a hobby once licensed, so there is a plan post skills test and I know my salary will stretch to continued flying.

I'd probably ignore the desk jockey and focus on the instructor - they're the one you will be sitting next to for 50+ hours. If you don't get on with the first, switch to someone else - it's your money and your life.

Consider heading to the States for a fast track license.

Consider doing all the ground exams in a week's crash course.

Consider paying up front and don't do it.