PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 9-10K for a PPL??..
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2014, 11:19
gasax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the postings above you will have hopefully realised that flight training in the UK is a business with a few issues.

My local club has over the period of about 20 years been through at least 6 different manifestations - probably more as I cannot recite the varying owners / companies. So the 'reputable' flight school is quite likely to not exist in a couple of years.

The margins are tight and the hour building instructors tend to regard instructing as a waste of their precious time. Hence a complete lack of 'customer care' or even in many cases interest.

Then you add in pilots perceptions of what things cost (and how quickly they learnt). Time always adds a certain gloss, I learnt a long time ago and spent less than £2500. But it was a long time ago and that sum, spent in a single lump would have bought a modest car - new!

Current training costs? I have hired the odd aircraft and been staggered by the cost. But when I add up what mine costs per hour the comparison is much less unfavourable - simple human nature I guess.

Chickenhouse has identified the various costs and whilst you might be able to trim elements the overall total is in the right area. But you are not spending this in a single lump, you can decide when and for how long, although stringing it out over a longer period will necessitate a element of refresher training.

The trick is to see the training not as a barrier to having the freedom of the skies (well to a point) but as a pleasurable activity in itself. If nothing else that means you begrudge spending the money less!