PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 6th Aug 2014, 10:09
ancientaviator62

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
melmothtw,
fighter affiliation as it was called was a part of the Herc tanker course which was carried out before the crews went down south. We used the Phantom and Harrier for normal course work but all manner of other a/c have been used in this role as smudge and others can testify. Did we ever 'win' ?
Well in this context winning was staying alive ! The only real hope was low and slow BUT you had to see him first ! Not easy even with the cupola manned and observers at the para doors. In fighter affil practice you usually knew they were around. This may not always be the case. Hopefully one of the drivers will be along to contribute.
As I related in my post the GPMG 'fit' (seems over the top to call it an installation) was in response to a perceived ground threat and was only mounted in the para door. It could be mounted to fire out of the ramp a la Chinook but apart from as a scare tactic as in smudge's story I doubt it would be very effective.
For a description of an Argentinian Herc being downed by a Sea Harrier just 'google' it.

Last edited by ancientaviator62; 6th Aug 2014 at 10:12. Reason: update