PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First/Middle name?
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2014, 08:44
mixture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will this cause any problems? Anyone had this before?
I'm a bit of a rebel... I've got a middle name and I don't even put it on my bookings.

I figure as long as the first and last name match, they can use whatever brain cells they have remaining to figure out the rest when they look at your ugly mug with your passport in their sticky hands. They've most likely already used their magic databases to decide you're not a threat before you even set foot on that plane !

Its worked fine for me so far, including trips to the post-911 world of USA. As long as you've got your ESTA and you give your fingerprints and photograph to the officer when requested, there shouldn't be any problems.

Of course, if you were called Abdul or Mohammed and travelling to the USA, then you might want to be more careful and make sure you dot all your I's and cross your T's ! But your average traveller arriving from a "western" country doesn't have much to worry about ...

Americans hardly ever spell out their middle name anyway, they almost always use initials (which may be why the system shows you as it does, the system was probably designed from a US mindset).... its a cultural thing and a lot of it is to do that they use the same first/last names through the generations, so (as far as I can tell) frequently the only thing that will differentiate one US family member from another is the middle initial.... maybe with their infamous Jr/Sr suffix to boot !

You have a nice day now ! (as they say)

Last edited by mixture; 6th Aug 2014 at 08:55.