PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF funeral question
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2014, 06:00
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Hindsight, as they say, is a wonderful thing.

I realise that the immediate aftermath of a death is not the time to always think straight and I find the case reported above to be embarrassing to me as a former serviceman and distressing to those involved.

Perhaps some pointers might help.

First, seek advice from the RBL and RAFA branches locally or SSAFA-Forces Help if preferred. This will lead to a union flag or RAF ensign at the very least to cover the coffin.

If there is an RAF base nearby, approach the Community Relations Officer as a first stop. If the individual has any squadron affiliations, approach the sqn association - if still active - or the sqn itself - if still in being.

A local air cadet unit might help with a uniformed presence but they are fairly tightly bound and have an approvals process to be followed to ensure the activity is authorised.

A sense of realism is also needed. I apologise if this is taken the wrong way but it helps to manage expectations in the current era.

If a civilian had worked for many years for the same company, which might have been taken over several times and in which few/none of the current workforce, knew the deceased person it is unlikely that anybody from the former employer would turn out. The only thing likely, is a possible letter of condolence afterwards. Upsetting and bitter though the pill is, the RAF is a similar organisation.

That said, there have been several recent cases reported in the press, where concerned individuals have managed to muster sizeable congregations to pay their respects to a deceased veteran, even when most did not know the person.

In all of this, the family's wishes are paramount. Two weeks ago I attended two funerals with service connections on following days. At the first, the deceased person had specified bright colours. At the second, an ATC contingent - with which the deceased was involved - paraded with their sqn banner and there was a good show of uniforms amongst those attending.

Old Duffer