PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Other ways of becoming an RAF/RN pilot?
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2014, 22:54
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I would echo earlier advice about getting all the qualifications you can - if you want to be an officer you will need them regardless of whether you join as a direct entrant or come up through the ranks.

However, if you just want to fly, then as Sloppy Link suggests, the AAC might be a way ahead. To be considered you need to be a L/Cpl recommended for promotion to Cpl. Key here is the wording - recommended simply means getting a 'Yes' for promotion one rank up on your annual appraisals as a L/Cpl, it doesn't mean you have to be a Cpl. Getting to L/Cpl is the key bit and there are some cap badges that spit you out of training as substantive L/Cpls so you are already there - Int Corps and REME are the only 2 I can think of off the top of my head. That gives you about 3 years productive service to get that 'Yes' recommendation if you apply straight off.

If you go down that route, I'd still use the time to get some qualifications and remember that you will have to do Flying Grading assuming you pass the OASC aptitudes; and unlike the aptitudes, Grading is a once only thing - fail it and there no second attempt, so AAC could be a bit of a gamble on that front.