PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More Medals/Bar!
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2014, 13:13
rarelyathome

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ‘medal famine’ referred to in this Thread, did not begin to be reversed until GW1 in 1990/1.The very significant deployments of all services meant a plethora of Gulf medals. The arrival of a Labour Government coincided (approximately) with a more interventionist policy on the world stage and generated not just British campaign medals but significant numbers from other agencies.
I was privy to quite a lot at that time and I recall an edict that said something along the lines that 'It's now about getting medals on chests' when the NATO Balkans medal was authorised. That mentality has grown and there has been some unfortunate medal collecting over the last decade. I have witnessed considerable rotation of Army personnel through theatres for just over 30 days which made sure that the rear party never had to look out of place. RAF Sqns were not immune either. Various 'studies' always seemed to need to last just over a month in theatre too. IMHO it rather degrades the value if some of the rows of campaign medals we see today have been awarded for 31 day stints. Too many people judge by the number of medals not by the way they were earned.