PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Once upon a time there was Air Nauru.
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2014, 11:02
dodo whirlygig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't let the facts spoil a story

I'm forever amazed at how peoples recollections differ over a period despite them being present at the same event.

As an expat on Nauru at the time MachE mentions, and who happened to be at the airport at the time he mentioned, it is my clear recollection that the aircraft wasn't going anywhere because the runway had been invaded. There is no way an aircraft could have taken off without mowing down some locals. A little different to other versions of events especially considering the mention that to defy the President would get you fired. So, why would you do that (act defiantly) with that knowledge?

Yes, the pilot chief alluded to did have some issues but I can assure you that it had nothing to do with smacking a waiter and nor were there any flight attendants or dinner involved. Facts get distorted when recanting stories second-hand, unfortunately.

How do I know? I knew him well whilst I worked for Rehab as I did many of the other Air Nauru pilots at the time. Did I know you and did I attend your send-off party in the Menen? A good time was had by all - ah, the happy days ies!