PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 9-10K for a PPL??..
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2014, 10:06
slipnpitch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9-10K for a PPL??..

Hi,

I am new to Pprune. I recently had a trial flight at a reputable Flying School based in the North West. The instructor was very pleasant and thorough. I left the school impressed with some information and prices RE PPL training which I have been saving for, for a long time.

I phoned back yesterday to ask a few questions such as their 'package price' which is just under 7k as I wanted to know what that included and also if I pledged to train only midweek would the school consider offering a discount as I would not set foot there at weekends which I believe are their busier days.

The young chap answering the phone seemed rather irritated that I should ask for more information and detail and sounded and behaved like an obnoxious dweeb. He rubbished my suggestion of training only in the week assuring me that they are crazy busy midweek training airline pilots and that the price is the price. Not even a 'let me speak to someone important and get back to you.' I responded that 'thats funny because when I came the other week on a Friday, the school seemed rather quiet' (there was only one female training all afternoon) to which he snorted and said 'well we have quiet days and busy days'. 'Oh', I said.

Regarding the cost he told me that the average cost of doing a PPL in the UK is between 9 and 10 grand. I said that seemed excessively expensive and most people/pilots I'd spoken to and other flying schools offer that around £6k should be enough to attain a PPL providing you train frequently and have a decent level of aptitude. So, is he correct or just full of BS?

Regardless of whether he is right or wrong I can honestly say he did NOTHING to try and encourage me to return to their flying school. Hardly an asset to the business.

Many thanks for your thoughts.