PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More Medals/Bar!
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2014, 12:32
Nugget90

Received 37 Likes on 5 Posts
More Medals/Bar ???

It may well be that I am not the only follower of this thread who, having served in the RAF for 20 or so years in the 1960s and 70s - and was proud to have done so - left the Service with not a single medal from HMG. This matters when, on occasions such as Remembrance Day, there is nothing to show that I, too, served my Queen and Country - for the little veterans badge is no substitute for a medal.

In my local Church last year, only three people displayed medals on Remembrance Day: the population at large never had to undertake National Service and is fast losing a connection with the Armed Services. And so I am bitterly disappointed that those who assessed the recently-released Review Papers into medallic recognition failed to appreciate how important it is that a simple medal should be awarded that all who served for more than a few years. I simply feel let down by a succession of governments that have failed to grasp this simple point.

'Risk and rigour' properly underscore the award of a campaign medal, but that's not what the current campaign for a 'National Defence Medal' is all about. Many of you who read this will probably wear either or both of the Queen's Golden and/or Diamond Jubilee Medal(s). I was serving when Her Majesty celebrated her Silver Jubilee, and when it became known that medal was to be struck we all looked forward to receiving one as recognition of our service. How disappointing it was then to learn that only a very few would be released and that most of us would be excluded from this award.

I hope that a government soon will reconsider the recently-announced decision that the case for a National Defence Medal is not strong enough, and will see the request as simply a plea for recognition of service rendered in the past - very much as has occurred in Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Heavens above, the award of a Long Service and Good Conduct Medal to officers who don't qualify for a Reserve or Cadet Forces medal would be something!

A 'thank you' from the State is all that many of us would appreciate.

Nugget 90

PS My local Mothers' Union has asked me to give a talk this coming November on 'My Father's Medals' as my Dad saw service across in both Europe and Asia in WWII. The reason for this request is that nobody in church that day understood what any of those I wore on my right chest meant. I am pleased, and proud, to comply.