PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Red Arrows: Inside the Bubble
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2014, 10:33
pbk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont generally catch this sort of tv programme, and really only started watching as I couldn't find the remote. However, having deliberately avoided anything to do with the Red Arrows over the years, I was stunned, not only by the quality of the flying display, but also by the aerial photography.

Never keen on the modern 'reality tv' approach applied to tv documentries these days where there is always a phoney crisis just before the ad breaks etc (ok it was the beeb but you get the drift); poor wifey at home etc, and the worst crisis was a foot rest not retracting fully. I couldnt be made to care whether the new recruits passed or not, probably easier than getting thro the Lightning OCU and they still have an excellent future ahead of them.

My biggest surprise was the ground crew...... no 'Mustache Petes'; overalls that go all the way round, no sumpy shorts that have gone 3 dozen engine changes between washes, no oil saturated bondu boots, not a grease covered mitt to be seen squeezing a tea bag into a stained mug. no nude sunbathing down on the beach with a day-glo pig or whatever stuck on their backsides....it was Cyprus for heavens sake. Not a sign of a Green Rock induced hangover. In fact they made the AOC look the scruffiest geezer in the programme.

I cringed at the pongo-esque drill routine on the see-offs, simply doesnt look business-like,and as for removing ear defenders by numbers.......but my word,
I thought they where a credit to the unit.
I really hope that the relationship between the linies and the aircrew was as depicted, too often strained in my time.

Respect to the Reds, respect to the programme makers