PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Once upon a time there was Air Nauru.
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2014, 09:47
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
Oh Zanzibar, lighten up. A figure of speech, but when there is nothing one can do, I have often found that, provided an activity is not unsafe, it is easier to just do it rather than take the high moral ground. Unlike some who behave like the gutter Press and seize on every word - as if those who contribute here are politicians and need to be oh so PC......
Before you bang on about the obvious, I am quite aware of the regulations about carriage of animals. The same regulations that consider an adult to weigh 84 kg. As if....the average prepubescent Nauruan teenager weighs more. Multiply that 'standard' weight by 150 pax and you can see that compliance with rules out there was somewhat, shall we just say, flexible. And, OF COURSE I had them clean the pig poo out of the hold before the aircraft flew again.
As for being scared of the President, ask someone about the riot on the airfield when the same President (of the pigs, and he was quite annoyed about that incident already) was trying to do a flit to his Swiss bank account. It did involve refusing to fly and quite deliberately making the President somewhat uncomfortable for several hours by shutting off all power to the aircraft in an attempt to 'smoke him out' in the heat. I was sacked for being such a recalcitrant. To be reinstated about three hours later when he realised no one else was available to fly him, or the aircraft, out of the country. Sacked again on arrival in Australia, to be reinstated yet again 24 hours later when some other pollie needed to go back to the island.
Individual Nauruans are often delightful and generous people, but the same can not be said for some of those who rose to high office.
Hence the 'too bad, so sad' attitude, and yes, I took their money just like all the other drunks, skunks, misfits, missionaries and mercenaries that have been through Nauru over the decades.

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 4th Aug 2014 at 10:37.