PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which florida flight school for PPL?
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2014, 07:55
dera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mixture;

Florida summer weather is different, but more challenging than UK. Arizona etc is different, but Florida is very challenging during the summer months.

re. the magenta line, I used 430W once during my training, just to learn how to use it. Otherwise it was pilotage and/or dead reckoning.

I've flown around Europe in 10+ countries, and nowhere have I seen as busy enviroment as is the norm in the east coast of FL. I flew around NYC for a year after Florida. I find it almost funny someone says it is challenging to mix gliders and powereds on opposing circuits. Yawn. IFR/VFR traffic with everything from LSA's to G500's, all happily flying in the same airspace in- or outbound from one of the 7 controlled airports with commercial traffic within a 50 mile radius. Wycombe on "a busy day" is absolutely nothing compared to how busy some areas in the US get.

The biggest differences in operation are that in Europe there's hardly any traffic around, and (especially in the UK) ATC is hard work. UK ATC favourite word must be "freecall".

For the actual flying, UK likes uncontrolled PPR grass strips with very varying local practices. Also, charts etc are alot worse and much more difficult to obtain.
And don't even get me started on landing fees!