PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Astraeus cadets - out of the closet!
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2002, 17:48
calypso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another head pops from behind the parapet.... .. . Calypso, 34, 600 hrs, CPL IR ME MCC frzn ATPL. I have done banner towing, a long trip around the USA mostly doing IFR and a very useful MCC in an Airbus 300 sim. . .. .I am absolutely elated to be starting the type rating on Monday (4 days...) I think that all of us have kept out of the way mostly because we where waiting for a more solid start date, which we now have. I also found the other candidates in the selection process a really nice bunch and I would have been very pleased to work with any of them. It was very frustrating knowing that not all of us will make it. With that in mind, and knowing that many where gutted not having got through, it seemed insensitive to just come out with how happy I was that I got through. Enough of excuses, "never explain!, never apologize!" was the motto of an industry that I have now happily left behind.. .. .Looking back through the selection process one thing that did really help me was the Gatbash wannabes seminar that I attended last Xmas. Before the seminars my approach to job hunting could be described as a polite request for employment. At the seminars I clearly saw that, given the sheer number of applicants, this did not work. I entered the media driven 21st century and realized that job hunting is about advertising. You have ten seconds, grab them and don't pull any punches. Explain in the application, letter, interview... why you make a great pilot, a great employee. Do not just describe what you have done but sell your wares in a concise and focused manner. I strongly recommend the seminars to anybody; they are a good laugh, you meet some great people and can get some good feedback.. .. .We have all agreed to post our experiences through the next few months so I will let you all know how we get on trough the rating and specially: how does it feel sitting at the controls and hearing "Astraeus 2341 clear for T/O". .Set thrust...... .. .Can't wait. .. .Cal