PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus "TERRAIN…TERRAIN" & "TOO LOW, TERRAIN"
Old 4th Aug 2014, 05:40
Microburst2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, this was my thread!

Safetypee said:
If a TERRAIN alert is given during an approach then a GA would be the better course of action as the EGPWS and procedures are designed such that alerts should not occur; if they do something is wrong and it is better to establish what at a safe altitude.

TERRAIN alerts at other times might be quickly resolved with flight path adjustment, but don't prejudge any situation assesment.

Other alerts during the approach such as Glide Slope or those involving Flap/Gear, might be subject to operator procedures, but in general the better option is to climb to provide time for evaluation.

Never try to second guess the situation; EGPWS reliability is now significantly better than the rate of human error – EGPWS is an error detector, yours or someone else’s.
That is more or less what I was thinking. I consider GPWS as a thing that saves you from yourself. A tool that gives you a chance to get away after you screwed it badly or some faulty or wrongly designed equipment was about to kill you. In approach, a those alerts require a go around, IMHO. As for the other situation other than approach… That is more complex.

Shouldn't "adjust flight path" mean always "climb away, you are way too low"?

I find the wording of this procedure lacking clarity