PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Once upon a time there was Air Nauru.
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2014, 01:13
Mach E Avelli

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts
OK, my pig story.
The President of Nauru often commandeered the 737 for his own use.
On this occasion it was to celebrate his birthday at Majuro, as he was connected to 'family' there.
When the birthday party eventually returned to the airport, they were accompanied by the most beat up truck you ever saw. It was so rotten with rust that the cab had no floor and no proper seats. Just a couple of plastic garden chairs held with fencing wire to what remained of the chassis below.
Anyway, in the back of the truck were half a dozen or so pigs which were the President's birthday present. Pigs are very highly prized in many Pacific cultures. Wives are traded for pigs in some places.
These pigs were not caged. The truck backed up to the aircraft hold and they were herded in and the door slammed shut. Not my problem, not my aircraft - if that's how they wanted to treat their only remaining asset, too bad, so sad.
However, on return to Nauru I conveniently 'forgot' to forewarn the bag snatchers of our cargo - to watch the fun that I reckoned was to come.
Of course, as soon as the cargo door was opened, out came the squealers and off they went in all directions. At this stage in Nauru's history, the populace was not exactly enamoured with their President, so only a very half hearted effort was made to round up the porkers. In fact, it is quite probable that more than a few found their way to lash-up feasts all around the island over the next few days with the President back to his chicken and rice. And deservedly so.