PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus "TERRAIN…TERRAIN" & "TOO LOW, TERRAIN"
Old 3rd Aug 2014, 22:55
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tubby linton
I cannot see that you were guessing from your post.
My apologies, I was hoping the phrases "I would imagine" and "you'd likely be" would indicate that I wasn't certain.

Read the Fcom (there is only one) and you will read how the control laws change and the appropriate procedures. The fctm will also be of interest.
Right, but the link you gave me requires individual downloads of the sections, and it's quite laborious and time-consuming. I have a (kindly donated) complete set of FCOM docs kicking around on a CD-ROM somewhere, but it's still in a box from a recent move, and I don't have time to dig it out.

For a non-pilot, I'm fairly conversant in the Airbus FBW control laws - and the point I was trying to get at was some clarification regarding vilas and sonicbum's assertion that:

...if you get a warning you must apply TOGA and full back stick...
specifically regarding how long to hold the stick back for.

Because, if I understand it correctly, when the stick is held back in Normal Law with TOGA power applied, then the High AoA Protection will allow the stick to be held back indefinitely, whereas outside of Normal Law (i.e. Alternate/Direct/Abnormal Attitude) then it is possible to pull the aircraft into a stall if you hold the stick back for too long.

Therefore I assumed it likely that "you must apply TOGA and full back stick", if that is indeed what the manuals say, would have caveats in such conditions.

I didn't think such an assertion would be obviously incorrect...