PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slow death of airmanship.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2014, 13:45
pilot and apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unlikevice
I truly do not wish to put words in your mouth but, it sounds like you saying that if you show up on shift and there is some indication that some other person may have carried out a preflight inspection at some time in the last 24 hours then it is ok to jump in, kick it in the guts and go?
How can you choose to ignore that part of the flight manual?? What other items in the flight manual does your company culture choose to ignore?
You truly do seem to be spoiling for a fight, and I have watched with some interest but now I'll bite. The SK76C+ RFM is what I have handy. It states:

EXTERIOR CHECK

The pilot will determine that the following exterior preflight check has been done before the first flight of the day or before the next flight after extended maintenance. Those items marked with an asterisk (*) should be checked just prior to each flight. Following removal and proper stowage of protective plugs, tie downs, and other associated supplementary equipment, the following check is performed beginning at the pilot's door and proceeding clockwise around the helicopter.
The starred items are pretty limited. If the engineer has signed out his daily, then yes you have determined it was completed. If you send out the copilot to do it and he says he did, same again. I do not see a post-flight in the RFM. ??

I agree, good airmanship means we perform more than the minimum. There must be a walk around prior to each flight.

Who is at fault?

The previous Pilot for certifying for an inspection he has not carried out?not in the RFM
The maintainer for certifying for an inspection he has not carried out?really, you have to ask?
The Captain for certifying for an inspection he has not carried out? ( A “walk around” is not a pre flight inspection in accordance with the flight manual).
Actually, it is the starred items. The engineer's daily inspection is the full list. If there is no engineer then yes, I do it, provided the MCM permits me. Otherwise I wait for the engineer to sign it off.

I agree on some of your earlier points about the importance of all of us involved in a flight doing what we say we are doing. Never sign for something that wasn't done. It just appears to me that we are drifting beyond that to drive home a point, and losing the integrity of the argument.