PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Converting JAA PPL
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2014, 12:47
wb9999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, it is the other way around. The CAA will not issue a UK FRTOL unless they have a record that the applicant holds a valid ELP.
The ELP is related to the FRTOL and has no relevance to the pilot licence (other than the endorsement appearing on there).
You need an ELP for an FRTOL (if using it airborne) - even if you don't have a pilot licence.
You don't need an ELP for a pilot licence without FRTOL - there are non-radio pilots flying around perfectly legally without an ELP.

Interesting - would I be correct in assuming this is a pre-EASA quote?
Yes, because the discussion started when talking about revalidating by experience in 2008 and 2010.

My point was that it is incorrect to assume that all FRTOLs have a 10 year validity
FRTOLs have a 10 year validity, unless issued with a licence. I didn't say that FRTOLs issued with a licence have a 10 year validity. It's not uncommon for pilots to obtain an FRTOL at a different time to a licence.

Prior to EASA Ground Examiners were entitled to "Sign Off" a Revalidation by Experience - but were not entitled to assess ELP.
Exactly! The discussion with Whopity was about revalidating prior to EASA! I think everyone knows what the process has been since 2012.

I will have to get get back to you on my revalidation forms. The original PDFs are on a work PC, and I was looking at the PDF on a mobile phone - very difficult to see the form numbers and some of the printing.