PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Converting JAA PPL
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2014, 12:27
Level Attitude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For some reason the ELP is ensorsed on the pilot licence, but it's based on the FRTOL. A pilot without an FRTOL cannot have ELP
No, it is the other way around. The CAA will not issue a UK FRTOL unless they have a record that the applicant holds a valid ELP.

A valid LP on a Pilot Licence is required in order to use an FRTOL.
A bit like a valid Medical Certificate being required in order to use a Pilot's Licence.

From IN-2012/208 21 Dec 2012 (which will not Copy and Caste)
Section 1.1 The UK CAA will not issue a Part-FCL Licence unless they have a record that the applicant has a valid English LP. No mention of whether the applicant has, or is applying for, an FRTOL - It is the Pilot's Licence that requires an LP endorsement (even if no FRTOL is held).
Holders of UK issued pilot licences that do not include a Flight Radio Telephone Operators Licence (FRTOL) have no privileges to use radiotelephony for airborne communication, and thus their licences cannot be endorsed with the ICAO Language Proficiency endorsement.
Interesting - would I be correct in assuming this is a pre-EASA quote?
b) The CAA's statement in 2012 to include revalidation by experience (it didn't):
As I pointed out in my previous post. However they did subsequently give official guidance:
Again from IN-2012/208 21 Dec 2012:
Section 2.1.1 ii) Face to Face aviation discussion not associated with a Skill Test or Proficiency Check.

It's incorrect to assume that all JAR FRTOLs had 5 years validity
My point was that it is incorrect to assume that all FRTOLs have a 10 year validity. On my old UK Licence FRTOL states valid for my lifetime. On my old JAR Licences FRTOLs were valid for 5 years. On my Part-FCL Licence FRTOL again valid for my lifetime.

wb9999,
Still genuinely curious as to which form you used for Revalidation by Experience prior to EASA.

NB: Prior to EASA Ground Examiners were entitled to "Sign Off" a Revalidation by Experience - but were not entitled to assess ELP.
(May be a reason why many were not evaluated for LP at the time of Revalidation)

TotalBeginner,
As you can see it is all very simple really