PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Number 1, number 2, number 3...
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2014, 10:24
Squawk7700

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts
Number 1, number 2, number 3...

So you are flying along in the circuit and have just turned base. There is one ahead on late final, one just turning final with you behind him. Another guy is mid downwind, so a pretty normal circuit at your local CTAF.

The guy in front's radio call says XXX turning final for 36 number 2 as there is one on late final. Then the guy turning downwind calls downwind for 36 number 3 because when aircraft 3 calls base he doesn't say "number 3." Yeah he made an error but everyone else doesn't know that.

How did the "number X" phraseology come about? I can't find any reference to it although I haven't looked very hard. Of course I realise ATC use it regularly such as at Moorabbin. Is the numbering system per leg of the circuit or per circuit?

I suspect it started in the CTAF with pilots using "number 2" to alert number 1 that they have them sighted and won't run over them. Problem is, it has progressed from there and where does it end and how should it be managed?

The aircraft on late final then lands and everyone's sequence number is less 1. Of course you aren't all going to give radio calls to update your number..... If people are relying on numbers higher than 2 then you are prone to potential disaster. See and avoid yeah yeah but it is potentially causing a false sense of security.

Thoughts?