PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor moving to charter
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2014, 09:38
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
The main reason 250 hour pilots can slide straight into airlines in Europe and Asia is because these areas are so densely populated that they don't need general aviation, and don't encourage it. If there is virtually no GA and the smallest aircraft operated is about an 80 seat turboprop, it is logical enough that young pilots will get a start on that equipment at the very least, and the luckier ones will go straight to jets.
Here we may ask why bugsmasher operators require five space shuttle missions and a degree in brain surgery to start. Like dogs licking their privates - because they can.
Whether a GA pilot with 2500 hours makes a better airline pilot than a 250 hour cadet is debatable. Maybe in the first few hours the GA jock will have an edge in handling skills, but it all evens out according to individual talent and dedication soon enough. The reverse of this argument was tried years ago, when airlines recruited fast jet fighter jocks alongside GA pilots who had only flown bugsmashers. Initially, of course, the fast jet boys did better, but after three or four years on the line the average ability across both cohorts was much the same. The more outstanding pilots were, as always, a few individuals who were either 'naturals' or who were particularly diligent in their pursuit of excellence.
Back to the OP's questions:
Much good advice above. Get there early, make a direct approach, neatly dressed according to the climate and armed with licence, logbook and c.v., network, show willing to do anything from sweeping the hangar to driving the tourist bus. (If you haven't already got one, get a light rigid vehicle licence and if you are at all nautically inclined, a coxswain's ticket is also a plus because you may need to work at other jobs in town while you wait for a flying gig).
If I was starting out with 1000 hours I'd try a drive north up through Central QLD dropping in everywhere along the way, but particularly Emerald, Townsville and Cairns. Then hitch a ride to Horn Island. If you haven't cracked anything there, time to head west, young man.
Mt Isa, Kununurra and definitely look in on Kakadu. If still no joy, prepare yourself for one of the less desirable towns. I won't name them (for fear of causing offence) but basically, the worse the sh!thole, the better chance of a job.
Glad it's you and not me...good luck!

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 4th Aug 2014 at 01:29.