PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor moving to charter
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2014, 01:30
iPahlot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max, I've met plenty of ex-instructors that made the transition successfully.

Things are very quiet at the moment up north, you've missed all the tourist seasons in Kunners and Broome so your decision to come north is not a bad one. Hopefully once the government budgets start flowing through things will get busier, but movement up top has slowed so progression has slowed down with it.

Unless you are really lucky you won't see a twin for a while and some operators won't really take you as a 1000 hour pilot. I found some ex-instructors really struggled with commercial reality. I met a young fella that canned a flight because there was 10 knots of cross wind at the destination aerodrome and his former flying school would cancel flights if crosswind exceeded 8 knots. Needless to say said lad did not have a job for long.

If you do make it up north before the wet season and score a gig get ready for some serious learning, the wet season is something else

Otherwise I would suggest wait it out til the end of the wet and start making your move around February-March, pick an area and hunker down, your hours should set you out from the crowd. 5-10 hours in a 200 series would definitely help you but may not be a deal breaker if you've flown a twin used in commercial ops, such as a Baron or 310.

Go in with an open mind, a willingness to learn and work hard and you'll do fine.