PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tel Aviv
Thread: Tel Aviv
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2014, 23:04
V1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safe Enough But Not Prepared To Fly There

I operated into TLV recently and we were held off about 50 miles whilst missiles shot down a rocket near the airfield. We were then vectored in from the North & departed in a similar direction keeping us away from all the action in the South West. My only reservation was the use of landing lights which made us an easier target in the air, and a concern having just refuelled about what we might do with the passengers if the airfield received a "3 minute warning" of incoming rockets. Other than that it was safe enough and I'd have no real safety concerns about operating into there. HOWEVER .....

... With the world up in arms and threatening sanctions against Russia for apparently supplying missiles to Ukrainian separatists for killing 298 civilians on MH17, there seems to be an eerie silence over the killing of some 1200+ civilians in Gaza. Many of these are reported as women and children with UN schools and hospitals being hit.

Sorry, but to me this seems a disproportionate response to 3(?) Israelis killed in rocket attacks.

Our military forces had to deal with people hiding weapons next to schools & hospitals in the Gulf war .... We lived with the frustration and didn't go bombing them irrespectively.

So although I have no real safety concerns operating into there, I do have a moral concern. I don't wish to condone this sort of action, so have declined to operate any further flights there until this stops.

It won't make any difference but makes me feel that I can show my disapproval in a peaceful way by withdrawing my professional services and refusing to operate into Tel Aviv for the time being.