PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2014, 21:37
Danny42C

Warmtoast,

(Your #6015): The first shot (the close-up of the heater) hardly fills you with confidence ! As Smudge says, you were dicing with death with that thing stuck onto the side. There seem to be two holes for intake, was the left one routed to the back seat ? In that case, perhaps it was either/or, who got the warm air (and/or CO) and who froze (and it gets quite nippy in Canada). No prizes for guessing who it might be when dual !

The thing was, being on the stb'd side, you didn't get around there much, and pilots did not pay much attention to this heater - indeed I myself, after 75 hours on them training in US and a fair bit more all over the place afterwards, never really examined it as closely as I'm doing now .....D.

hempy,

Nice to know that my offerings are causing interest further afield ! I think the Harvard is over S. Rhodesia. No idea what colour the soil would be there (Yamagata Ken would know). ....D.

Deepest Norfolk,

So now we've got the Final Solution to the Belgian/Butter mystery - and it wasn't confined to Leeming, after all.

(Old Russian "Salt" saying: "Na Stolye, Na Stalye" (Lit: "On the table - On the back"). Interpretation: "If the wife has put too little salt in the borcht- why, it's "on the table", you can put some more in. If there's too much - she gets it "on the back" with a stout stick !)

[Told me by an old RAF pal on Russian Language Course in Paris - all errors his - take it with a pinch of salt !].

Were you in Leeming ATC ? (I left end of '72). And was our No.1 Hangar Ghost still around ? ....D.

Chugalug and MPN11,

For whatever reason, engines often break off in forced landings. Either the top mountings break first and the rest hangs on grimly (more likely on smooth, level ground, I should say). Or in rough stuff, break off entirely (as in my case) and go Lord knows where. On 20 Sqdn we had a chap who'd had to put down an old style Typhoon somewhere in Malta. The giant Napier Sabre broke out and was gaily bounding along beside him like a playful dog, while he cowered in terror in the cockpit ! (Down, Rover, Down Sir !). No, it didn't hit him, you'll be pleased to know. ....D.

Cheers, all. Danny.