PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WW3 1985
Thread: WW3 1985
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2014, 12:41
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Evalu8ter
Harold Coyles' book "Team Yankee" was a company size account of the same fictional war. Hackett's book remains an excellent tale - though often ignored next to Clancy's magnum opus...
I never met Harry but I did meet his neighbour. Coyle was a tank major and wrote Team Yankee from the perspective of the Team. Coyle attributed the major premise of his book to Hackett.

For an airman, the most impressive aspect of Team Yankee is the almost complete lack of Air, either friendly or hostile. The reason is not that his book is army centric but that the battle field for Team Yankee is vanishingly small compared with the high speed theatre-wide aspects of the air war.

On Hackett's use of Birmingham and the counter blow on Minsk, in an earlier Wintex when nuclear exchange was opened, SACEUR elected to make a token demonstration. Now I can't remember if it was in response to a Soviet strike on Birmingham or pre-emption, but the demonstration involved nuclear release on 50 WP targets - Endex followed a few minutes later