PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Converting JAA PPL
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2014, 12:23
wb9999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The old, pre-EASA, form SRG1119 was two pages. Page One had all the 'good stuff' about who you were, what Rating you were Revalidating/Renewing and the Examiner's confirmation (Signature).
I have scanned copies of every document I've sent to the CAA over the last 6 years. Pre-EASA revalidation by experience forms did not have an ELP section (and still do not, post-EASA). SRG1119 is for Skills Test and revalidation by LPC. In 2012 I revalidated by LPC. The examiner forgot to complete the ELP section (or maybe incorrectly assumed I had previously been assessed), and I had to go back to him to ask for his signature for ELP so I could get an EASA licence.

As JAR Licences needed to be re-issued every 5 years the CAA should have amended their computer system so that they noted the ELP Level on newly printed Licences.
The FRTOL (for which the ELP is required) is issued for 10 years. Many pilots could still have a valid 10 yearly FRTOL without undergoing ELP assessment by an examiner (well, valid if the ELP wasn't invalid).

Quote from Jude08 before my post:
You will need English Language level 6.
Nobody picked up on that, and I've been picked on for some reason!

This is not correct.

Pre-EASA I am unaware of any guidance on how an Examiner could assess a pilot as being English Level 6
Bearing in mind I was responding to Whopity's question as to why the examiner did not tick the box on revalidation (so we are talking about the past), the CAA's Guidance for Examiners Process for the Testing of ICAO Language Proficiency issued in 2008 (Link) lists the acceptable methods of testing:
a) At the RT test
b) At a Flight Test
c) Through a Language School
d) At a Training Organisation (as part of a recognised course of Flight Training)
e) Other Acceptable Means (to be approved by the CAA beforehand)

The document states the above is an extract from LASORS 2008. I don't see anything there which would have allowed an examiner to assess ELP when signing revalidation by experience back in 2008. Maybe that's why some examiners did not do it (including the one I used). The guidance document has a replica of the original SRG1199 (issue 01), which lists the opportunities for language assessment. The latest form is now issue 02 (issued 13 September 2012), so the acceptable methods of assessment remained the same from 2008 to September 2012. That's probably why the ELP was not included on the revalidation by experience form.

There really are some petty discussions on this forum!

Last edited by wb9999; 2nd Aug 2014 at 13:55.