PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leaving that well paid job to fly
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2002, 08:50
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Want to hear from somebody who nearly did it and didn't?? I was a cop in Kent, instructed part-time, booked my CPL course and then thought - 'I'm getting promoted, the job market for pilots is zip (80/81) - I'll stay in.' One thing I hated though was the unsocial hours so I eventually left for industry in 86. The biggest step for me was starting my own business - 5 years of sleepless nights but now success! I own 4 aircraft - nothing flash or complicated, just a mix of new and old fixed singles. More to the point - I can work when I like, fly when I want and sleep when I'm tired. Am I glad I didn't do it? Yes I am. However, had I not made a success of my business, things may well have been different. So, if you love flying - what better than to fly your own and hang it on your own business. However, if a big jet blows your frock up, you don't mind working for somebody else and may not get your command for some years - doo oo oo it! My ex-instructor chums have all gone on to be captains and are all happy with their jobs. Just remember her indoors though. No point in earning big bucks, giving most of it to no.1 wife and owning a tenth share in a 152. Oh yes. DO I miss being a cop? Not one jot!