PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 2nd Aug 2014, 11:37
ancientaviator62

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
gopher01,
I at least would like to hear your ADS tale. I too have taken off with the ramp in a less than optimal position. I was the ALM on the Abingdon B of B Display Herc in XV 300 on the 15 Sept 1972. We were doing tac offloads on the grass in front of the VIPs.
We had two armoured cars and a troop of soldiers. The rehearsals went perfectly but on the day the forward vehicle stalled. Luckily I had anticipated this scenario and had briefed the driver of the No 1 vehicle not to drive away until I gave the signal. When the forward one did not move I motioned him back up the ramp connected a chain as a tow rope and off they went. Of course this took longer than normal. The Nav was commentating to the Captain from the bottom of the flight deck steps and as soon as he said the vehicles were off so was the a/c. I just had enough time to get the loading ramps up and started to close up as we rotated. I was not best pleased !

Last edited by ancientaviator62; 2nd Aug 2014 at 11:38. Reason: spelling